Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Piparkakut -or- Finnish Ginger Cookies

This is a traditional Finnish cookie that is spicy and delicious.  It is usually made around Christmas time and cut into little boys, girls and pigs.  Why pigs?  I have no idea.    

1 1/2 cups Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Molasses or Dark Syrup
3 tsp Cinnamon
3 tsp Ginger
1 1/2 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Allspice
3 tsp Orange Zest
2 Eggs
2 tsp Baking Soda
5 cups Flour

Combine butter, sugar, syrup and spices in a saucepan.  Stir constantly until almost to a boil, then transfer to a mixing bowl.  Allow to cool to room temperature (stirring helps) then stir in eggs, sifted dry ingredients and mix well.  Chill in fridge overnight.  On a prepared floured surface roll out dough 1/4 of an inch thick, cut into shapes (I just made circles and pressed them with a fork.  Boring!) and bake at 350 until lightly browned (mine took about 8 minutes, but the recipe to wait 10-12)  They taste great alone but feel free to frost them when cool!
Makes about 24 cookies

1 comment:

Sare said...

Cool blog, Mis! this is the first time I checked it out, and while I can't follow along with you just now, I'm going to give all your recommended recipies a try when I'm home more- I SWEAR!!! I'll even add in a few of my own, if you're up for it...