Friday, March 19, 2010

Borscht (Beetroot Stew)

from Mandi

No offense to the Slavic language, but I think the word Borscht sounds pretty awful. So when my friend Mandi recommended this recipe, I was a bit nervous to try it out. In the end I was pleasantly surprised! I loved how in spite of how simple the ingredients were the taste was really rich and delicious. I used beef in my soup, but I think it would be great vegetarian as well.



8-10 beets, chopped into smallish pieces
2-3 carrots, chopped into larger pieces
3-4 potatoes, chopped into larger pieces
1/2 lb of ground beef or pork (meat chunks would also be good)
1 large onion, diced
1 cup diced cabbage
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
4-6 cups of stock or water
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp rosemary
salt
Sour cream

Saute meat with onion and garlic and spices. Once cooked through, drain grease and add in beets and saute for several minutes. Then add carrot and potato pieces, saute for several minutes and throw the whole mixture into a large soup pot. Add cabbage, bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

No comments: