Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Light Banana Nut Muffins

I haven't been in the mood to eat bananas lately and as a result I keep getting lovely black ones by the end of the week. I've been looking for some ways to use them, but it seems that so many banana bread recipes use a ton of sugar and white flour, which diminishes the healthy quality that I'm looking for. Anyway, these were easy and tasted quite good, especially with the nuts on top.


3 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
3-4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened if possible)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup white flour
1 Tbsp flaxseed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a muffin tin or line with paper cups. In a medium bowl, mash together applesauce, vanilla and bananas, then fold in egg whites. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, oats, salt, sugar, flaxseed, baking soda, spices, and about 1/4 cup of nuts. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and sprinkle remaining nuts on top of muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

1 comment:

Lisa Best said...

Mmmm, I love banana breads made with applesauce...Such a healthier option. I love reading your cooking blog! Keep posting, I enjoy attempting your posted recipes!