Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brazilian Black Mango Soup

from Allrecipes

When I first saw this recipe I was pretty skeptical because of all the random ingredients. Mango in a stew? Are you crazy? But I really love mango. And black beans. And sweet potatoes. So I thought I would give it a try. So glad I did. And while I loved the ham, it would be great with out it as well.


1 Tbsp oil
1/4 lb chorizo sausage
1/3 lb cooked ham, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 hot chili pepper, finely minced (optional, add for heat)
1 1/2 cups stock
2 (16 oz) cans black beans
1 mango
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
salt to taste

First, heat oil in a big pot. Saute onion and garlic and once softened, toss in the chorizo and ham. Then add in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, the cans of tomatoes with juice, minced chili pepper, and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in beans and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Lastly, mix in mango and cilantro, season with salt and serve.

No comments: