Sunday, August 16, 2009

Oven Fried Chicken

adapted from Weight Watcher Recipes

I had a hankering for fried chicken, but I am trying to avoid all fried foods on this blog so I found this pseudo-fried baked chicken and gave it a whirl. I was a little skeptical about using bran flakes, but it turned out great and was so easy that I can't wait to try it again.

Tip: I put this on the top rack and the legs in the back cooked pretty fast and almost burned so maybe put it one the middle rack or lower to prevent this from happening.

6 medium bone-in, skinless drumsticks (I used 3 legs)
2 1/2 cups bran flakes (corn flakes would also work well)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 Tbsp light mayonnaise
3 tsp mustard

Preheat oven to 400 (204 C), line a baking sheet with foil and place beneath a wire rack to catch the drippings. Spray the rack with a little oil.

Crush the bran flakes into a grainy powder. In a bowl mix crushed cereal with salt, paprika, garlic powder, and peppers. In another bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard. Using a cooking brush, brush the mayonnaise lightly on the chicken and then coat the chicken with the crushed cereal mixture. Place the chicken on the rack and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the juices of the chicken run clear.

No comments: